- Our Top Picks: Countertop Water Filters
- Countertop Water Filter Reviews
- Countertop Water Filter Comparison Table
- Buying Guide: Best Countertop Water Filter Systems
Our Top Picks: Countertop Water Filters
Pesticides, herbicides, VOCs, lead, organic solvents, mercury etc.
VOCs, Chlorine, herbicides, industrial chemicals, sand etc.
600 gal. and 1200 gal. respectively
Lead, chromium, copper, fluoride, radium etc.
Countertop Water Filter Reviews
Starting from a list of 10 of the best selling countertop water filters (excluding countertop water dispensers), we narrowed it down to 4 of the only filters worth looking at, depending on your needs. When it comes to countertop filtration, the important factors are design, filtration levels, and filter lifespan.
Best Overall: Big Berkey Countertop Filter System
(Our Rating – 4.9)
If you are looking for a high quality and beautifully designed water filter that will match your stainless steel appliances, then go with the Big Berkey. Year after year it is one of the highest rated countertop water filters on the market.
With the ability to filter fluoride from tap water and an impressive 6,000 gallons of filter life, you can’t go wrong with this elegant water filter.
Features we love:
- Beautiful design
- Remove fluoride
- Large reservoir holds 2.25 gallons
- 6000-gallon filter life
- Quality and Design in One
- Enough for an entire family
- Slightly expensive
If having a filter that makes your water taste great and matches your stainless steel appliances, there is no other choice than the Big Berkey BK4X2!
Premium Choice: AquaTru Countertop RO System
(Our Rating – 4.7)
Our premium pick is the AquaTru Countertop RO system. It’s a reverse osmosis countertop water filter. If you’re interested in reverse osmosis water filters, then take a look at our review of the best reverse osmosis systems.
The AquaTru countertop RO system is a 4 stage water filter. The first stage is a pre-filter which removes the sand and larger particles. The second stage and third stages are reverse osmosis filters while the last filter is an activated carbon filter. All these filters work hand in hand to remove the contaminants in your water.
Features We Love
- 4 stage filter system.
- Up to 600 and 1200 gallons filter lifespan.
- Removes fluoride, radium etc.
- This unit has a 4 stage filter system, two of which are reverse osmosis filters.
- Long lasting filter life.
- No installation is required for this unit.
- Removes a large number of contaminants from water with to a high degree.
- Changing the 4 filters can significantly take a few bucks out of your pocket.
With respect to longevity, the filters on this unit have a lifespan of 600 gallons and 1200 respectively. Changing the filters is a breeze.
You need to have ample space on your countertop as the unit is a bit larger than we expected. Also, it’s pricier than even the Berkley countertop water filter above.
Some of the contaminants that can be removed by the unit include chromium, chlorine, lead, radium, fluoride, to mention a few.
Budget Pick – iSpring CKC1C Countertop Water Filtration System
The iSpring countertop water filter has three major selling points; it’s small, easy to maintain and very effective. It’s one of the few countertop water filters that come with a 10-inch filter cartridge.
Its filter is designed for removing tons of water contaminants including chlorine, odor, rust, silt, sand and other sediments. More importantly, it effectively eliminates VOCs from your water. Its compact size ensures that it doesn’t take much space on your countertop.
Inside this unit, you’ll find a 5-micron carbon filter. Although it’s not as powerful as a 1-micron filter, it’s very effective – at least 95% effective in removing contaminants from water.
Features We Love
- Easy to install.
- Large 10-inch filter cartridge.
- Small size.
- Two color options.
- It effectively removes chlorine, odor, VOCs etc. from the water.
- The unit is NSF/ANSI certified.
- It’s pretty easy to install and it comes with all the necessary installation accessories. Beat that!
- It won’t take up any space on your countertop because of its small size.
- It doesn’t come with adapters for inner threaded faucets.
iSpring offers it in two different colors; the white color is the most preferred since it seamlessly blends with most kitchen’s interior décor. Installation is a breeze as you only need to join the right water cables and the whole thing is set.
Did we mention that it has the NSF/ANSI quality certifications? And it comes with all you’ll possibly need for installation, including a faucet adapter, tubing, O-ring, and a plastic wrench.
iSpring is also well known for their under sink water filters.
Installation Free-Aquasana Countertop Water Filter System
Sitting on the fourth position in our review list is the Aquasana Countertop water filter system. This white resplendent water filter is the perfect choice for homeowners looking for a unit that will provide them with clean water and still match the interior décor of their kitchen.
Aquasana offers this unit in black and white colors only. The white color blends easily with any background and is perfect for white kitchens. It comes with an effective filter that removes lead, chemicals, chlorine, odor, taste, sediments, etc.
Features We Love
- 450 gallons filter lifespan.
- Available in two colors.
- Removes most contaminants from water.
- The unit is outrightly easy to install – in fact, it takes less than 10 minutes to install it.
- It removes a lot of contaminants from the water but leaves out important minerals like magnesium.
- The filter has a lifespan of 450 gallons and is easy to change.
- It’s available in two colors.
- The filters are a bit expensive when compared to filters for other units.
The filter has a lifespan of 450 gallons which is low when compared to the other units in our list. However, it doesn’t take away its ability to remove contaminants.
Whilst removing contaminants from your water, the unit doesn’t remove important minerals like magnesium which is important to the body. It also doesn’t remove calcium. If you don’t like calcium in your water, you should install a water softener to take care of it.
Countertop Water Filter Comparison Table
|Best Countertop Water Filter||Our Rating||Filter Lifespan||Color||Removes||Price|
|Big Berkey||5||6000 gallons||Stainless Steel||Pesticides, herbicides, VOCs, lead, etc.||$$$|
|iSpring CKC1C||4.9||2000 gallons||Blue||VOCs, Chlorine, herbicides, sand, etc.||$$|
1200 gal resp.
|White||Lead, chromium, copper, flouride, etc.||$$$|
|Aquasana||4.8||450 gallons||White||Chlorine, odor, taste, sediments, etc.||$$|
Buying Guide: Best Countertop Water Filter Systems
Because of the convenience they offer, countertop water filters are fast becoming the recommended choice for water filters. There are a lot of products to choose from – some are worth it while the others are not.
In this section of the article, we’ll take a look at the factors to consider when buying a countertop water filter. When you’re done reading this buying guide, you’ll be able to make the right choice that’ll suit your needs and that of your family. We also recommend looking at some faucet water filters if you plan on putting this in your kitchen.
Type Of Countertop Water Filters
There are two different types of countertop water filters.
- Water Filter Pitchers: This refers to the jug like water container that comes with its own filters and filters water entering it. Some are designed to filter the water as it leaves. Water filter pitchers are compact sized and can hold at most 25 cups of water (8 oz. standard). We reviewed the best water filter pitchers here.
- Conventional Countertop Water Filters: This type of water filter comes in two different variants; a tank model or the tankless model. As the name implies, the tank models come with their own tanks which can hold a limited amount of water. On the other hand, the tankless models are directly connected to the water source. This is where the faucet water filter falls under.
A lot of individuals classify the faucet water filter as a countertop water filter. Well, here at Water Filter IQ, we know better which is why we didn’t include it. If you’re interested in owning a faucet water filter, here’s our review on it.
Having decided which type to buy, you should also consider the following.
You should take note of the amount of space you have left on your countertop if you’re interested in getting the models with a tank. This will help you to plan accordingly and leave ample space for other things on your countertop.
Size can really be a deal breaker if you don’t take it seriously.
Getting a tank model? What’s the capacity? How often do you use it? How many persons will be using it? These are some of the important questions you need to ask with regards to capacity.
The larger the household, the larger the size of the unit you’ll need.
At this juncture, we expect that you’ve seen a handful of units you’re interested in. Now, take a look at their filter lifespan and compare. Opt for models with higher filter lifespan.
In addition to that, getting a replacement filter shouldn’t be as difficult as finding an eagle’s egg. We recommend buying the replacement filters in bulk to ensure that you don’t run out of filters – and you’ll get to save money too.
Contaminants you want to remove
Knowing the contaminants in your water can go a long way in helping you select the perfect water filter. If your water is directly sourced from the city, a trip to the municipality office will furnish you with the list of contaminants in your water.
Most manufacturers indicate the type of contaminants their products can remove. Crosscheck with your list to see if the contaminants in your water can be removed by the countertop water filter or simply measure the drop in Total Dissolved Solids (TDS).
Although most countertop water filters don’t require installation e.g. the water filter pitcher, the ones that do should be done by either a professional or a DIY enthusiast who has experience in such installations.
This will ensure that the product isn’t damaged and will prevent the warranty from being voided.
Look out for certifications
Certifications help to build consumer confidence in products. Look out for certifications for the filter as well as the water filter in general.
For the majority of households, you can ensure 100% safety and great taste with our pick for the best countertop water filter: the Big Berkey Countertop Filter System.
You can also select the AquaTru Countertop RO System to get full reverse osmosis at an affordable price.